Re: [gardeners] Ain't no bugs on me <still is> pesto thread

Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:22:45 -0500

Bob Kirk wrote:

>    Trying to type thru an archived acoustic music program from Alabama
> Public Radio, where I usually go for a better blues mix than all five hours
> of Blues Before Sunrise... suppose I ought to send them a $10 pledge: hey,
> there might even still be a small-animal vet in north Alabama who remembers
> where Manhattan, KS is (in the unlikely event she'd catch my 5 seconds of
> fame).
>     --may be bugs on some of you mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me.
>
>    But KEDM (Northern Louisiana University, Monroe) is still first choice
> since they webcast a monophonic audio stream which is plenty good enough
> for the blues and about as much as my decrepit home phone line can handle
> even at a nominal 56K. Anyway, it still tastes like real pesto.
>
>    Take 1 pint of frozen food-processed basil leaves, 0.5 cup of the
> cheapest olive oil (the industrial waste stuff) available, 0.5 cup English
> walnuts, 0.25 cup (~ two full heads' worth) fresh garlic cloves, 0.5 tsp
> black pepper, 0.5+ tsp salt, and blend on slow but leave some texture.
>
>    ... May be flies on some of you guys, but there ain't no flies on me.
>
>    Actually this goes: 1) walnuts 2) garlic 3) 2 + 1 + oil, pepper & salt
> 4) 3 + the basil. Did I mention that was processed & frozen >at least two,
> maybe three or four summers ago?<  In a refrigerator freezer compartment?
>    Or maybe it was 1 tsp each pepper & salt.  Hell, this was going to be
> the first pesto recipe I ever wrote down. Anyway, you get the idea: it's
> pretty hard to make bad pesto (though using pecans might come real close,
> sorry). You may or may not choose to add Parmesan cheese at this point
> (see earlier discussion).
>
>    .... may be lobsters on some of you mobsters, but ain't no lobsters on
> me. Dang, I wish I ever could've got sounds like that out of the Jew's harp
> I lately found out home.
>
>    bk---
>
> Well, rats, they just had someone call in to pledge from Australia, so I
> guess Kansas would be pretty small koalas. Anyway, if you've gotten the
> wholly unjustified idea that someone who listens to string band or mountain
> music, etc., may not have the most discriminating taste, then adjust the
> above recipe accordingly.
>    And throw some beans in it. Har! (classical allusion)

At's what I like about satellite TV, got all those music channels and
one of them is blues, down and dirty blues. Another favorite channel is
Big Band, makes good cooking and canning sounds.

Gotta agree on the pecans in pesto, tried 'em once and didn't like the
taste. But, then, I'm the odd southron guy, don't much like pecans.
Walnuts, English or Black, hickory nuts, almonds, pistachios, yeah, but
no pecans. Miz Anne loves them pecans but don't think they grew them in
southern Maryland where she was raised.

Had pesto last night, made a pizza with it. Raised some pizza dough,
baked it, and then coated it with pesto and et it. Even the dog likes
it. Later on we had popcorn, no salt, no butter for me and everything on
it for Miz Anne. Good evening as we sat around and read, listened to
music, and ate stuff.

George, enjoying Bob's post