Re: [gardeners] Thursday

Sherryl Fawx (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:54:15 -0800

No greenhouse here, but oh I am itching to get seeds started.  As usual, my
eyes (or is it my stomach?) are a lot bigger than the available growing
space ("but honey, we neeeed 12 different kinds of tomatoes" :-)).  And now
I've got a brand-new rack with lights & timer to start the seeds on.  It's
all set up in the garage, just looks a bit empty with only a few african
violets & orchids on it.  Last year I had trays all over my workbench.
Kind of messy, but it worked sort of OK.  I'm really looking forward to
this season.

For the most part, winter seems to have passed us by.  No ice or even much
rain to speak of, lots of flowers are still blooming.  Guess I'd better do
the winter pruning soon even though the plants certainly aren't dormant!  I
even have a few tomato plants still producing.  And I've sure been drooling
over the lovely descriptions of what you all have been harvesting lately.

Well, my weekend starts tomorrow, and I intend to spend a good chunk of it
cutting back penstemon, mini-roses, etc. and planting some more tulip bulbs
(having had their winter-chill in the fridge).

Sherryl
Northern California
USDA zone 9b

<snip>