Re: [gardeners] In the kitchen on Saturday

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 21:59:59 -0600

penny x stamm wrote:

> .
> George, why don't you put a lemonade stand in front of your house....??
> Can you imagine charging 2c for a cup today?  More likely it would
> be 20c ...
>
> Just what do you put into your soup stock besides the carcass...?
>
> Penny
> .
> .
> .--
Parsley, one hot chile, celery, onion, carrots, peppercorns, bay leaf,
garlic. I don't put salt in as we try not to add to our sodium load and
the frozen turkeys are injected with a saline solution anyway. The garni
comes out when the bones and fat are taken out.  The pot is in the
fridge now and the fat will be pulled off the top in the morning since
it will solidify overnight. Then I take the bones and the garni out and
they go to the trash. Sometimes I will cook the stock down until it is
really thick and then freeze it. Takes about half the room of regular
stock. Right now the freezer is coming empty so I've plenty of room.

I think you could safely put whatever type of herbs/spices you want in a
stock. You and your family are going to eat it so why not.

Turkey carcasses make a really nice stock and it doesn't take long to
melt a half-gallon block of it when we want to make a soup. All the
leftover veggies from meals go into plastic containers in the freezer
and we'll toss the contents of one or more into the stock that is on
it's way to be a soup. I also keep a quart jar full of mixed beans and
peas, the dry ones. I guess you could use the fixings for 10 bean soup
but I mix my own. Couple handfuls of that, some fresh carrots chopped,
celery leaf, another bay leaf, either thyme or oregano, although
rosemary also makes a nice flavoring for a turkey based soup. Sometimes
I use sage instead.

You know the kind of soup I'm talking about Penny, back of the stove,
winter day, feels like home, comfort food.

George