Re: [gardeners] Cans

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:27:41 -0600

Hi Byron,
    That method is very similar to what is called the "Aggie Pot Method". It
sure is a good idea, saves water, gets the plant food where it needs to be, and
assists the weeds much less.
    I live out in the country. Have cedar fence posts and garden wire (wire with
4-6 inch squares) to enclose my garden. I slip the cans over the ends of the
posts, slid them down until they rest on the wire. I also string them on some
guy wire that the utility company threw over my back fence when they were
replacing it with new wire. I hang the ends of the guy wire to the top wire of
my fence and let it droop down with the cans threaded on the wire. I use these
methods because of a serious lack of storage building capacity.  I do this where
it is not easily seen from the house. Judy objects to them being any closer.
{;-)
    Thanks for the tip. It works well with vining plants like melons too.
Allen
Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
Zone 8