Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the Igloo

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:01:15 -0600

Penny,
    This poor old Texas boy would shiver and shake to death in the
temperatures that you are experiencing.
    You are right Saturday was one of those days to cherish forever. It
was the kind of day that you wish all days could be like.
    Judy and I spent most of Sunday in the garden. We cleared out more
grass and weeds and planted 112 more onions. We have 208 onions planted
now. Still have another bunch of onions sets, plus I still have that
gallon of bunching onion sets to plant.
    We also planted the Brazos Berry blackberry plants that my Dad gave
us Saturday.
    The wild birds kept us company Saturday, too. We saw a female and a
male Am. Kestrel (Sparrow Hawk), Goldfinches, House Finches, native
Sparrows, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Inca Doves, Robins Carolina Chickadees,
Tufted Titmice, and others. Most of our bird feeders are along the edge
of the garden. The birds are used to seeing me in the garden. They just
go on eating sunflower seed and talking to each other. Sometimes we
were within 12 feet of the feeders.
    The temperature at 6 AM this morning was 57*. This weeks predicted
highs range 78*- 82*.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.