Re: [gardeners] Jim's party

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:29:33 -0600

margaret lauterbach wrote:

> At 05:09 PM 1/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> >Margaret,
> >
> >These subminiature spinach thingies were just plain creamed
> >spinach in pre-fabbed tiny ramekins. lThey went just like hotcakes,
> >for Jimmie's family is NOT spice-connected the way Jim and I are,
> >and several of our children. Twenty-five years ago, we were all at
> >Lake George, NY, for a very special occasion, and at a certain
> >restaurant they served a spectacular dish --   it was veal with several
> >asparagus  laid on top, and some hollandaise sauce poured over.
> >But on the side they had fresh mushrooms filled with creamed
> >spinach laced with garlic....   Now THAT was a dish to remember.
> >
> >You could do this as a pie, as a veggie for dinner. Or if you're into pie
> >crusts, you could create some thumb-nail ramekins, and fill them.
> >
> >Penny
> >
> Have you ever had spanakopita at a Greek restaurant? Spinach pie, using
> phyllo for the "crust"? Margaret L

A common dish throughout the Middle East and Eastern Europe. Bulgarians
do it well too.  Comes from Turkey originally as does most Greek and
Middle Eastern food styles. Keep phyllo in the freezer just for
emergencies. Like dolmas better, rice and meat rolled in a grape leaf,
just takes a while to make so only do it about twice a year.

George, salivating for a good mess of Middle Eastern finger food