[gardeners] Snow in Coastal Southern NC

Pauline & Gary (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:14:49 -0500

Seana, this is the first snow in years!!  We moved here in March of 1987 and
this is our first snow.  The last time it really snowed here of any amount
was in 1989 I am told.
My flowers are holding up beautifully so far.  My hope is that the lantana I
have planted will survive.  Two years ago, the lantana I planted did not
come back and we didn't even have snow that year.  This year I have
refrained from cutting it back and I won't cut it back (I think) until I can
see some green coming up.  Same is true for the Mexican Sage---I think I
read somewhere that you are not supposed to cut this back until you see some
green coming up.  Last year I did cut it back without knowing and the
Mexican Sage came back anyway, but not the Lantana.

I am now sitting here with 6 Zepherine Drouhin rose plants ready to go in
around that white arbor.  I also have some Agapanthus, Daylilies and Phlox
to plant, but although our temps are going into the 50's during the day,
they are still in the 30's at night, so I might wait.  If anyone out there
has any experience with the Zepherine, I would be interested in receiving
any tips.