Re: [gardeners] Wednesday in the garden

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:56:54 -0600

penny x stamm wrote:

> All right, George, what do dewberries look and taste like?
>
> Penny, NY

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

They're kin to blackberries but are low growing, ie trailing. They are
the first berries to ripen in the wild around here. Blue/black in color,
red juice, get about as big as the first joint of my thumb (about 1 inch
long by 3/4 inch around) and are absolutely delicious. They're getting
harder to find as more mow their wooded areas and fields. They grow best
in an open field or along a wooded area where there are weeds/grass to
shade them. They will be ripe in April or early May. As early as these
are blooming it will be April this year. Miz Anne and I have been known
to go out and pick a couple of 5 gallon buckets full when we find a good
patch. You have to carry a snake stick along though, the birds like the
berries and the snakes like the birds.

George