Re: [gardeners] Hummers are here, hummers are here

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:53:25 -0600

Allen Merten wrote:

> George and Anne,
>     We had two male Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at our nectar feeders
> Wednesday, March 15th.
>     Two of our Hummingbird feeders are hung from Youpon Holly shrubs
> bordering the garden.
>     The most awesome thing I ever saw in our garden, was a Ruby-throated
> male bathing in dew trapped on a corn leaf.
>     I managed to get a couple of more rows ready to plant peppers, yellow
> wax beans and tomatos before the cool front moved through. We got some hail,
> gusty winds, a little rain, and the temperature dropped like a rock.
>     Friday morning I go to Austin for another diagnosis of my situation and
> what can be done about it.
>     I'm nodding off again. No sleep last night or today.
> Allen
> Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
> Zone 8

We haven't had any visiting the feeder since that first one. I think I
may be shunned by the birds because I didn't get the feeder out early
enough.

I've got to get my peppers in the ground today or Sunday, we're doing a
garage sale Saturday. Lots of house plants, yard plants, and herbs in it
plus some stuff that is just junk. Neighbors on either side are getting
in on it and we all three shared the cost of two newspaper ads. I'm
dreading it as some people are so rude when they're pawing through your
junk.

George