Re: [gardeners] Spring in a Van Nuys Garden

Carol J. Bova (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:52:43 -0800

Ron Hay wrote:

> Good morning, friends:)
>
> Spring with all its vicissitudes has arrived with a vengeance <snip>

Hi All!
I'm new on the list, and Ron's descriptions gave such a great mental
walk through his garden, I had to write!

We just bought our first home in California in the Sunland-Tujunga area,
about 15 miles northeast of Van Nuys. I haven't discovered everything
that's in the garden here yet, but I could use your advice on how to
clean up two overgrown pomegranate trees/bushes and what to do with
three badly pruned apricot trees. The apricots are still dormant, so
should I lightly prune damaged branches now, or wait til they leaf out?

The pomegranates are about 6 feet high and look more like a bunch of
overgrown berry canes than trees! There is dead fruit all over them,
which I intend to clean up as soon as we actually move in, but then
what?

I haven't had a real garden of my own for a number of years, but I've
kept up on roses and perennials through my job (managing a 32 acre
cemetery in East L.A.). In NY, I took some courses at the Bronx Botanic
Garden and had an organic garden plot at an environmental center in
Douglaston. In Philadelphia, I had a front yard garden in front of a row
house, that was about 20 by 20, with 1/3 on a slope with just blooming
sedum.  On the flat area, I had a sour cherry tree, azalea hedges down
both sides of the property line, 6 rose bushes, spring daffodils,
strawberries instead of grass on the tree side of the yard, and a
vegetable garden on the other side with tomatoes, peppers, eggplants
(teeny ones!), herbs and fall mums.

There's so much I don't know about growing fruits and vegetables here in
SoCal, but any place where chrysanthemums bloom 4-6 times a year
(instead of once a year in Phila.) has got to be fantastic for growing
edibles!

Looking forward to learning more!
	Carol
|  Carol J. Bova            bova@bovagems.com |