RE: [gardeners] Monday in the garden

Jane Burdekin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:22:17 -0600

Hi George,
Sounds like a busy day.  Congrats on the weight loss, that has to feel good.
Should help with your aches and pains too.  Our peach tree (3yrs old,
planted from seed) has set blooms and the bees are quite interested.  All
the trees are in flower now, apples are coming out soon, forsythia and fire
bushes are outstanding this year.  The bulb flowers are all out too, it
seems the grape hyacinths are about a month early, I usually put them in May
baskets.  Don't know if there will be any left for that or not.   I have
radish, peas, brocoli, cauliflower and lettuces coming up in the garden.  I
worked on Saturday in the garden (the part that is not planted)almost all
day, got it pretty cleaned up and the weeds pulled.  I'll be digging out
compost and tilling hopefully in the next week or so.  Life is good.

Jane
zone 5 Colorado

-----Original Message-----
From: George Shirley [mailto:gshirley@laol.net]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 12:21 PM
To: Gardeners List
Subject: [gardeners] Monday in the garden

Too cold and windy yesterday so stayed in most of the day. This morning
I got up at 0530 and went off to work for an hour then back home to do
the paperwork for the job. Played with Sleepy for about 15 minutes then
changed into the overalls and out to the garden. I was pleasantly
surprised that my old overalls now fit again. Seems I have lost about 3
inches around my middle since I went on a diet and started exercising
again. Hurrah for me!!

Anyway, Miz Anne was rooting out the calendulas that did their winter
duty and making room for a small patch of corn and a stand of okra that
will be planted this afternoon. I rehung the netting that holds up the
cukes and the edible gourds and got it taut for the season. Fertilized
the blueberries, raspberries, and boysenberries and then a little
fertilizer around the peach tree which is setting fruit.

On to important things - the gas barbecue grill needed some serious
repairs involving cutting sheet metal, drilling holes, threading bolts,
etc, etc. ToolTime stuff with much man grunting and exclamations of joy
as things went back together properly. Tried it out and it works fine,
we may have a burnt offering of beef tonight to placate the little gods
of the tools. This is only our second gas grill in more than 20 years
and both of them were found at curbside and kept repaired until they
could be repaired no longer. This one seems as though it may last
another 5 or 10 years with reasonable care.

I'm off to the garden center to pick up 40 more lightweight cinder
blocks at $1.38 each plus tax. This will finish the surround on the
raised garden and the back side of the compost heap. Another 60 or so
will do the strip garden along the west fence but will have to wait
until we get another windfall.

Life is good.

George