Re: [gardeners] Dead St. Augustine around oak

Tue, 16 May 2000 19:29:21 -0500

Jeannine Kantz wrote:

> I saw a similar message to this one from the 98 archives. My St Augustine
> is dying in a ring that coincides exactly with the dripline of my live oak
> trees. The trees have been there about 5 years. The grass is fine
> everywhere else. It seems to be coming back this spring, but we've had a
> lot of rain. I'm in zone 8-College Station, TX.
>
> 1. Could this be from tannic acid in the live oaks?
>
> 2. Can it be corrected some how?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeannine Kantz
> jkantz@tca.net
> *************************************
> Yesterday is the past,
> Tomorrow is the future,
> Today is a gift,
> That's why we call it the present.

Is it dying from the trunk out or just at the dripline? We have lots of live
oaks in the area and if the sun can reach under them the San Augustine grows
under there. I have white oaks, red oaks, and pin oaks in my yard and the San
Augustine grows under them okay but the limbs are trimmed up high enough that
the sun reaches under the trees.

Doubt that it is tannic acid but could be chinch bugs, chafer grugs, or June
beetle grugs that is killing your grass. Pull up a clump of grass by the roots
and see if there are white grubs under it. Hope this helps.

George