Re: [gardeners] Gardens and shade

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 28 May 2000 07:46:10 -0600

At 09:00 PM 5/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all. Well, I'm here again...for those of you that remember me! I haven't
>participated any on gardens lists in quite some time - too much work, too
>little time. A case of where life got in the way. Although my participation
>will undoubtedly be limited, I'm getting involved in gardening again since I
>moved 1.5 years ago. And I have a couple of questions for you. I now live in
>the deep woods - the only gardening that I can really do is shade gardening.
>I can't even grow tomato plants! Not enough sun. I've been pretty successful
>"deer proofing" (so far). I have a feeding station for my 18 strong herd of
>deer away from my house with a salt block, a feeding block, and shell corn I
>buy for them every 2 weeks (they eat 100 lbs in 2 weeks!). Buying the corn
>(I'm in a corn-growing region) is LOTS cheaper than replacing plants. So far
>(after 1 year), they have totally left my rhodies, azalea, and mountain
>laurel alone!
>
>First, are there any good shade or woodlands garden listservs out there I
>could subscribe to?
>
>Second, talk to me about clematis that will grow in the shade. I know there
>*are* varieties. (Is Dick Tripp still around??)
>
>Hi to all my old friends here - Myra, Lucinda, Margaret, and many others too
>numerous to name! Don't even MENTION plants slugs will eat :) :) :). Private
>joke!
>
>Rosemary in the mountains of eastern KY
>zone 6a

I guess your ESP is turned on. I was thinking about you yesterday,
especially when I saw the red blocks on the weather map...hope you're safe
from tornadoes, or else your shade garden may turn to sun. Welcome back,
Rosemary! How did you like your first winter not having to drive a zillion
miles on icy roads to get to work/school?

The shadegardens list is good, a lot of thanks due to Marge Talt. She's
also doing shadegardens on Suite 101 now (you probably remember Carol
Wallace, who is overall garden editor of Suite 101, I think). Shadegardens
is at maelstrom.stjohns.edu, I think it's a listserve. So address
listserv@maelstrom.stjohns.edu, subscribe shadegardens.  Best regards,
Margaret