Re: [gardeners] NZ Spinach = Malabar spinach?

Wed, 31 May 2000 12:20:53 -0500

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> > Nope, Malabar and NZ spinach are two different plants. NZ spinach, at
> least for
> > me, is a sprawler with triangular shaped, fleshy leaves. From what I've
> read of
> > it it has been grown in the US since about 1750. It has greenish gray
> foliage
> > that is fleshy. I dry a lot of it for use in soups and stews over the
> winter and
> > eat it as greens all year. It reseeds readily but doesn't become a
> nuisance as
> > it is easy to spot and pull. One plant covers about 3 feet squared for us
> and
> > provides all the greens we need or want. We also direct seed it or,
> rather, let
> > it reseed itself.
> >
> > George
> >

> Funny thing about that NZ spinach for us.  I planted it twice last year and
> had very poor germination -- ended up with two plants altogether (which was
> more than enough.)  This year I didn't plant it at all and it's coming up
> everywhere.  I guess I'll let one stay.
>
> David

Yeah, it reseeds like crazy. Look at each leaf junction and you will see an
odd-shaped seed with little points. Every one that falls on the ground sprouts a
new little plant. You also have to be careful with Chinese Yam, aka Cinnamon
Vine. those little potatoes that grow at leaf junctions fall off quickly and
grow new vines. I got a million of them this year. Potted up about 50 for the
fall plant sale.

George