Re: [gardeners] 4th (cont'd)

Tue, 04 Jul 2000 10:33:54 -0500

Craig Watts wrote:

> Thanks for the reply George. I'm in zone 7 (North Carolina). As for the
> squash, might as well try.
>
> BTW- what do you do with thai hots? Arn't they the little peppers the size of
> your pinky nail and point straight up when growing? With our cayanne we dry or
> can them in vinegar. Jalopenos we can in 50/50 water and white wine vinegar.

Thai hots are about 2 inches long and about as big around as half a pencil. I
would say they look like a red doobie but a lot of younger folk don't know what
a doobie is. They do point straight up and are very hot. I use them with other
chiles to make my hot sauce and also dry and grind them to add to black pepper,
to use as is in small amounts.

> So what do you do with your thai?
>
> Rewards: something I left out of the last post was the rewards of the garden.
> Last night we grilled steaks and broke out the grill basket. If you've never
> done this, try it.
>
> It's a black teflon coated basket with holes all in it. We got green beans,
> potatoes (little ones from garden), tomatoes (Carmelo vgood! and roma), yellow
> squash and a crab apple. Marinated in Italian salid dressing 1/2 hr. Put in
> grill basket on grill. brown gently over 1/2 hr while steaks are cooking.
> Fabulous!
>
> Give it a try!
>
> Craig Watts
> kingdomm@worldnet.att.net