Re: [gardeners] 4th of July in the garden

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:28:52 -0600

At 10:18 AM 7/4/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Yes, blue lakes have a wonderfull taste and no strings!
>
>Our favorite find recently were Carmello tomatoes (Shepard seeds). Full
>bodied, little seed, great taste, ugle as sin. Just cut around the bad
>spots. Had some in the freezer this winter and pulled some out and mixed
>with okra. Blast of summer taste in mid-winter!
>
>BTW- the habanero peppers were a specialty seed also from Shepard.
>Purchased six seeds. Not to be commercially propagated, personal use only.
>Suppose to be the hottest of hot. Will let you know on that one.
>
>Craig Watts- Raleigh, N.C.
You're talking about Red Savina habaneros.  I bought them once, and every
one was caught in the seed. Didn't get a single plant.  I grew Carmello
tomatoes once, when I still grew hybrid tomatoes. They didn't live up to
their hype, in my opinion. I only grow open pollinated tomatoes
now.  Contender green beans are the best-tasting beans I've ever seen. They
also have no strings and produce heavily. Some seed companies say they're
ready in 42 days, others say 48 days. Margaret L