Re: [gardeners] Saturday in the garden

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:44:29 -0500

donna warren wrote:

> >I had gone to Big Lots, the remaindered goods store nearby, last week and
> >purchased some jars of salsa, made by, of all people, Seeds of Change. Got
> a jar
> >of Jamaica Jerk and a couple of jars of Smoked Pasilla.
>
> I used to find lots of interesting things at Big Lots, neat boxes, gardening
> gloves, and exotic prepared foods; but the stores in Tennessee are changing
> their style, and price.  More floor space, lots of badly made furniture,
> much higher prices.  Kind of like a very, very, downmarket KMart.  And that
> is pretty down.
>
> > and then put a nice sirloin
> >steak in one of my gallon jars, covered it with the Smoked Pasilla and pulled a
> >vacuum on the jar. Both were just grilled about an hour ago and both were good.
> >I prefer the steak with the smoked pasilla chile salsa as the vacuum opened the
> >pores of the meat and allowed the salsa to penetrate deep inside. Right tasty
> >stuff.>
> >George
>
> That vacuum thing sounds great.  What is it called, where can I get one?
> I just froze some blackberries spread out on a cookie sheet and thawed a few
> a couple of days later.  Outstanding, could not tell they had been frozen at
> all.  But I am thinking that with all the air in the container I then put
> them in, freezer burn will set in quickly and the quality will not be there.
>
> Donna, Tennessee

I have a Tilia Foodsaver Compact II, $159.00 at Sam's Club a few years ago.
Noticed them last time I was there and they're still the same price. Takes
special bags but they last forever. I have some that have been used at least ten
times each. Pulls a true vacuum and your produce doesn't freezer burn. Every
once in awhile I run up on some veggies that have been in the freezer 2 or 3
years and the quality is till good. No air, no freezer burn. That reminds me,
need to defrost the big freezer. Drat, there goes my Sunday.

George