Re: [gardeners] Dehydrator-tomatoes

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:01:55 -0500

Another good time saver with tomatoes is to bring them in from the garden wash
well, dry, then put into plastic bags for freezing. I vacuum seal mine to avoid
freezer burn. When you thaw the tomatoes the skins slip right off and a lot of
the water runs out of them when thawing too. You end up with a tasty product
ready for soups, etc. When you have a lot of tomatoes to put up a little extra
time helps.

I like stewed tomatoes Donna, only I like them chilled and as a side dish with a
little black pepper and very little salt. I don't stew them in anything except
the stuff Miz Anne eats. I burned out on stewed tomatoes when I was a kid and my
Dad grew three acres of tomatoes and we had to harvest and can about a zillion
lbs of them.

George