Re: [gardeners] OT how to sell ?antique furniture?

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:53:41 -0600

At 11:54 PM 8/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Specifically, a "wave-front" chest 45"H x30"W x21"D (114x76x53cm) - Reddish
>to deep-blonde wood with prominent darker grain, four lower drawers + two
>top half-drawers. Basic wood slides, not "modern" construction anyway.
>    Something my mom picked up at auction years ago - but I can't imagine
>a house without built-in furniture (or at least built furniture, with the
>possible exception of basic chairs and a fullscale recliner or two).
>
>   Anyway, I pretty much use that kind of stuff from one laundry basket to
>another: not difficult when you wear shoes & socks only when the snow comes
>over top of the Tevas (original thong style; betcha didn't even know they
>still made those), and seldom wear underwear (...oops) except with the
>supremely comfortable cutoffs where you've got to.... Oooh, baby! Umm, hey,
>just don't hang that over my >toothbrush<, OK?
>
>   Heh. Anyway, I really don't have or foresee a whole lot of use for this
>thing, and (actually inching closer to a house with >real< furniture),
>could use any $$$ it might be worth.
>    Do I look in the library? Find a website? Ask a dealer or more likely an
>auctioneer? Or does someone know for sure that these are so totally generic
>that you just advertise them for some likely percent more than a similarly-
>sized chest in the Penneys catalog.  TIA for any help.

Go to your friendly local library and look for a book on antique furniture.
Is there anything similar to your chest? You could do your own research or
call in an appraiser. Ask an antique dealer if anyone in your area
appraises antique furniture. I would do a combination of both your own
research and a professional appraiser.  It might be worth a lot of money or
it might not. Be a shame to sell it for a little more than Sears charges
for a dresser, then see your purchaser on Antique Road Show finding it's
worth $100,000. Margaret L