Re: [gardeners] Withering heat

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:41:18 -0500

Finally has cooled down a few degrees here Ron. We've actually gotten a couple
of inches of rain in the last week and it looks like rain out right now.

My Ponderosa lemons are starting to turn yellow and our Fuyu persimmon is still
to young to bear but has grown at least a foot this year. We're anxiously
awaiting that time as we both like the Fuyu quite well.

Our tomatoes gave up the ghost long ago to the heat as did the beans and peas.
The okra is still going along as are the chiles, hot and sweet. About time for
me to till and plant the fall garden so will probably do that this weekend if we
don't get too much rain. Have a huge pile of compost to spread on the garden
along with several buckets of aged horse manure mixed with rice hulls. Since I
only till every other year this should bring some grubs, etc. to the surface for
the birds to eat. The mockers hang around when I till and then really work the
surface over when I'm done.

Will probably just go to the nursery and get some fall tomato and cuke plants
rather than start some. We usually get several broccoli and cabbage plants at
the same time.

Your fruit trees sound great, hopefully mine will start to bear next year and I
am feeding, spraying, and pruning toward that end.

George