[gardeners] Re: Saturday in and out of the garden

bsk (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:12:41 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shirley,George" <gshirley@deltech.net>

> Today we hope to get the east flower bed cleared out for about 20 feet.
>Our reasons are valid though, this is where we want to move
> all of our shade loving gingers. This bed gets sunshine from about 0900 to 1200
> daily and that's it. The rest of the time it's in full shade. Should be
> excellent for gingers. So, once it's clear in goes the variegated ginger, the
> culinary ginger, and the Boswellian Hidden Ginger (named in honor of the famed
> astronomer, gardener, and bon vivant from over Mississippi way). I'm undecided
> about the Red ginger (real name unknown

George I bought some ginger in the grocery store to play with. I planted it in 1
gallon pots to get going and now I have 2 pots doing great! I didn't realize ginger
gets so big. I am relieved to hear they like shade because that is where I had them
all summer under the big oak tree. We have had a inch of snow, several frosts and
freezes, rain up to our gullet so I am glad I have them moved inside my weed room.
      I am in zone 7 a  here in Oklahoma do you have any idea as to how hardy ginger
is generally? It would be great if I could plant them outside somewhere.

*******************************
> I'm thinking of buying an old refrigerator to put out in the carport just to keep
my fermenting
> chiles in. Maintains an even temperature at a level where mold has trouble
> forming. This is the best I can do as I can't afford to buy an old salt mine.

You may not have to spend any money at all on a fridge. Check out some store that
takes in trade ins or repairs them. They may welcome someone hauling off what they
think is trash. You may want to look at a upright freezer for better shelf storage
and design inside. Not  on that you could get lucky an have a key to the door so you
can lock it up to keep all those 2 legged critters out. LOL

Okie zone 7a
aka " Ranchmama "