Re: [gardeners] Saturday in and out of the garden

David G. Smith (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:38:31 -0500

Paper makes a big difference in print quality, in my experience.  With our
Epson printer we get much better results with glossy photo inkjet paper than
with plain paper or non-glossy inkjet paper.  (I'm assuming the HP242C is an
inkjet printer and will behave similarly.)  We found Kodak Inkjet Photo
Paper for about $30 for 50 sheets.  It's heavy enough to use for cards, I
think.  They sell it in various sizes, but I thought it made more sense to
get big sheets and a papercutter.

I guess you know a high resolution scan isn't ideal for web page viewing.
Most people can't see anything bigger than 800x600 pixels, and setting the
JPEG "quality factor" down to 65 or so will save a lot of space without
degrading the image much.  I'm guessing that you know this, but I'm
remembering the time my cousin sent me a 200 dpi uncompressed scan of a
photo for posting on our family website.  It would have taken forever to
download.

David