Re: [gardeners] tomatoes in February

Shirley,George (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 03 Feb 2001 08:27:33 -0600

In central and south America tomatoes are perennials. I have had them last two
and even three years here when there was a series of mild winters. I would keep
them and feed them regularly if you want them to continue producing.

Checked my two Thai Hot plants yesterday and the last frost hit them pretty hard
so pruned them back to green "wood" and hope they recover. Have had chiles do
that before so I might jump start the hot sauce season.

Best advice I was ever given on tomatoes said to stick with those varities
either developed for or adapted to your area. I usually do that and then "play"
with a couple of other varieites each year looking for more standards. Take a
shot at whatever you would like to try. Yellow Bell has become a standard with
us now, a moderately sized yellow tomato shaped like a bell and it is basically
hollow. Great for stuffing. We also like the small but tasty Yellow and Red Pear
tomatoes. The yellows are my favorites and I often eat a handful as I work or
walk in the garden. Even the dog likes them.

George, who wishes he had a fresh home grown tomato