Re: [gardeners] Re: Saturday in the garden

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:28:33 -0700

At 04:29 PM 2/13/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Jeannine, mothballs never hurt anything in my garden.  I swear
>by them. Fortunately, I like the smell -- brings me back to my
>childhood, in some fashion.
>
>Penny, NY

Well, I wouldn't do that around fruit trees, Penny. The tree takes up the
poison, and sends it to the fruit.  Fuller makes a large moth "disc" (I
don't recall their exact name for it) that fits in a plastic holder, for
you to hang in your closet. I bought one.  It was hanging in my closet.  My
smaller dog (between chihuahua and pomeranian in size) started acting odd,
as if he could hardly move. He got worse and worse within hours. When I got
him outside, he perked up and was back to his lively old self.  One day I
walked into my bedroom, closely followed by the dog. The closet door stood
open, and the smell of the moth cake was permeating.  The dog
recoiled.  Hmmm, I thought.  I took the moth cake to the garage,
remembering the dog had been napping in my closet a few times.  Once the
moth cake was out of the house, his "paralysis" was gone.  It doesn't take
a neurosurgeon...Margaret L