Re: [gardeners] Saturday in a FL garden

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:10:17 -0600

You have been busy. This morning I harvested all the cauliflower and broccoli
that was ready, washed, blanched, froze and then vacuum sealed it and back into
the freezer. In addition I cut a 5 lb block of sharp cheddar into half pound
blocks and vac sealed each block separately. They now reside in the refrigerator
where they will last without molding until we need to eat them.

Washed about six loads of clothes, if we ever retire that should drop down to
about 2 loads a week, no work clothing to wash then. Miz Anne vacuumed the
family room and dining room and I will do the rest of the house tomorrow. She
also dusted the family room, a chore I detest. It's easier now with the new
"swisher" clothes. We don't have the dust mop for them but use them as dust
clothes and then toss them.

The garden looks good with those huge cauliflower plants gone. The broccoli may
or may not bear more florets. If not they will go into the compost heap with the
cauliflower plants and the last cabbage head, which never filled out and turned
yellow. The carrots are growing apace as is the chard (some will get blanched
and frozen tomorrow) and the fennel.

I look around our domain and see the mayhaw, pluot, aprium, plum, and peach
trees blooming and I have hopes of a fruit crop in 2001. We certainly had more
than enough hours below 45F this winter.

Like Anne, I will be hoping to hear of others gardening exploits when the August
heat and humidity hits and we don't go out until after dark.

Life is good.

George

> Annetta Green wrote:
>
> Well I had another wonderful Saturday.  My Logee's Nursery catalog came on
> Thurs.  I made a list of what I wanted for my garden and ended up with over
> $250 worth of wants.  That is way to much for my budget so off I went to Home
> Depot this AM.  I would still be out in the yard but it is sprinkling and it
> was getting a little muddy in the newly composted beds and pots.  Anyway I got
> enough to satisfy me and not break the bank.  The order is now down to about
> $30.

snipped