Re: [gardeners] Planted

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:42:39 -0600

More than likely you had weevils in your pea seed although it could have been a
caterpillar. Also most likely that you picked it/them up in the bulk seed bin.
If I buy bulk seed that way I bring the seeds home and freeze them for three or
four days, generally kills whatever may be in there. I also do the same with
ground grains from the supermarket as I once got an infestation of miller moths
with some stoneground organic whole wheat flour. I'm familiar with square foot
gardening and even did it for awhile when we had a small area in which to
garden. It works well but is time intensive, an item which is in short supply
around the Shirley Swankienda these days with both of us working.

You're welcome and keep up the good work. You have some good ideas there and we
would all like to see them.

George