Re: [gardeners] Arkansas cornbread recipe

Carol J. Bova (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:53:06 -0700

 From the Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery:
Spoon Bread -- A famous Southern specialty, this is a baked dish made from
white or yellow cornmeal, milk, eggs, and shortening. It is served with a
spoon.

The history of spoon bread goes back to the first days of the Virginia
Colony when the settlers adapted one of the Indian methods of preparing the
native white cornmeal. The Indian's  "Suppawn" was a simple porridge-like
dish, cooked in pots. The English colonists, recalling quick breads and
porridges eaten in their homeland, refined the dish by adding milk and
eggs. Some unknown cook left the mixture in the oven by mistake. Spoon
bread was the result.

Spoon Bread
1 cup white cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Combine cornmeal, salt, and 1 cup of the milk in 1-1/2 quart saucepan. Heat
remaining milk and add. Stir and cook over direct medium-low heat until
mixture is smooth and thick. Stir in baking powder. Beat egg yolks and egg
whites separately. Gradually stir in egg yolks. Fold in egg whites. Melt
butter in 1-1/2 quart casserole or baking pan (9 x 9 x 2 inches). Pour the
cornmeal mixture into the casserole and bake in preheated moderate oven
(375 degrees) for 40 minutes, or until well-puffed and brown on top. Serve
at once with butter or margarine. Makes 6 servings.
         Carol
         in chilly Sunland, CA

Carol J. Bova       bova@bovagems.com