RE: [gardeners] Late(?) Transplants

Jane Burdekin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:43:15 -0600

Hi Doug,
Have I missed you on the list?  I'm in Boulder too.  Quite the dumb snow
storm we had here last weekend.  I'm ready for spring.

Jane
Colorado

Hi Harry,

I inherited several perennial beds when we bought our house
last year. A couple of months ago I was out taking stock of what
plants I had and what shape the beds were in and found two Russian
sage that were intermixed with clumps of blue fescue and yarrow.
I dug up the Russian sage, cut back the stems to about 3", replanted
and watered them in well, then forgot about them. Monday evening
(the day after a freak snowstorm we had here in Colorado) I was checking
on the gardens and found lots of new growth on both Russian sages. The
snow and ice didn't seem to bother them. This is the first time I've
tried to grow Russian sage, but from what I've read they are very hardy
and easy to grow. Yours will probably be fine if you keep them watered
a bit until established.

BTW, are you the same Harry Boswell from RSFC? (If you're not familiar with
the term RSFC, then never mind!).

-Doug Reed
-Boulder, CO
-(Miss. State '76, just in case you are the same Harry)