Re: [gardeners] Threaten to disband and they will come...

Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:53:58 -0500

I sympathize about the mockers. I have several around here who think our garden
is their personal larder. I don't mind too much as they also eat lots of
insects. Have seen them chasing grasshoppers, katydids, etc, and even picking
caterpillers off of plants. Cardinals are another problem, being seedeaters they
take a bite out of a tomato and then hollow it out to get the seeds. On top of
that they don't pay any attention to insects. Bought the neighbor next door some
seeds for her big bird feeder and stopped the redbirds from eating my maters.
There's one old male mocker that may meet his end soon. He usually starts
singing about 1 am each morning and continues until dark. Makes more noise than
10 other birds put together. Getting a little tired of his plan to attract a
mate. Got a friend with a hawk that might need a snack. Naw, the mockers are
protected here and I don't want to go to jail just to get a good nights sleep.
Oh yeah, the mockers, grackles, and blackbirds just love our raspberries and
boysenberries and the mockers like the blueberries best.

George