Re: [gardeners] Kieffer pear it is!!!

Lon J. Rombough (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:58:03 -0700

Be aware that many winter pears, such as D'Anjou, will not ripen if simply
picked green.  They have to spend time in a refrigerator - 8 weeks or so at
least - before they will soften and ripen when taken out.
    One way to tell when a pear is ripe is to look at the seeds.  Brown,
mature seeds mean ripe fruit in fall and winter varieties (Keiffer is a fall
variety, by deinition).  When pears start dropping, it is another sign that
they are mature and ready to pick.  Commercially, they use a pressure tester
- a device that measures how much pressure it takes to push a little rod
into the flesh of the fruit.  When the pressure drops below a certain value,
the fruit is mature enough to pick.
    If you don't cook Keiffer first, you might as well process it with a
chipper-shredder.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom