Re: [gardeners] Apple butter

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:43:58 -0600

Yes, but fortunately fruit-growing hobbyists are keeping the old varieties
alive. For instance, Seed Savers Exchange yearbook this year has scions
(for grafting) available of Cortland, Cortland Early, and Cortland Red
Spur. There are also clubs and a marketing organization called
"Applesource." I have an old catalog from them ('96), but they had Cortland
apples available (and many other old fashioned varieties).  They may now
have a website, but all that was listed in that catalog was 1-800-588-3854.
These apples do bring premium prices. I don't think you could grow decent
apples in So. Calif. because you don't have required chilling
hours.  Margaret L