Re: [gardeners] toxic marsh

Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:30:29 -0500

Yeah, there are several places on the West Coast, can't remember exactly where,
that have built artificial marshes and are running their sewer treatment
effluent through there. It supposedly comes out the other end clean enough to
drink and then runs off into a river. Saw a show about it on Discovery and it
looked intriguing as a cheaper method of treating stormwater and sewer treatment
effluent. Also showed a house that had a greenhouse attached along the south
wall that all household water, grey or black ran through troughs in it. Narrator
said there was no odor and the water came out the other end and was used to
irrigate gardens and lawn, some was used for edible plants. Florida may actually
be on the right track again. Was pleased to see that a number of the drainage
canals dug into the Everglades years ago are being filled in again. I think the
Feds and the Florida government are finally realizing that all that good
drinking water in the aquifers there is being filtered through the glades and a
lot of limestone.

George