Re: [gardeners] sterilizing the soil

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:27:34 -0500

Easiest and cheapest way to do large areas is with polyethylene sheets. Clear is
the best way to go, cover the area you want to sterilize with the clear plastic
sheeting, a least 4 mil thickness, cover edges with soil. Leave for several
weeks during the summer. Should kill the grass and weeds then their seeds sprout
again and the heat kills them. This cycle continues until nothing else comes up.
Beneficial stuff like earthworms just move out. Is this what you were looking
for? Oh yeah, it only affects the area that is covered.

George