Re: [gardeners] Spigariello or Minestra Nera?

Carol J. Bova (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 20:52:15 -0700

This is a new one to me.  (Is this the same as broccoli raab?) I found a
picture from a seed company, but conflicting reports elsewhere.
Wonder if you could substitute it for kale or escarole?

My aunts used to make a chicken broth, then added washed, and coarsely
chopped escarole, simmered it for about 20-30 minutes, then served with
parmesan cheese.

I came across another escarole dish where you cook white beans,  then in
another pot, sautee onions and garlic til soft, then add chopped escarole
and saute til wilted, then add the white beans and chicken broth and cook
together for 20 minutes.

Curious to hear more about this!
         Carol
         Sunland, CA