Re: [gardeners] Fourth of July in the garden

Annetta Green (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:18:16 -0400

> As a part of our day we went to Home Depot and paid for our new front
door. The
> old one is 27 years old and, while the door itself is in good condition,
the
> frame has dry rotted in critical places. All of this is being replaced
with a
> good steel door with leaded glass inserts, Miz Anne picked it out for
herself.
> It will be installed in a couple of weeks.
Hey, this is almost how we spent our weekend.  Only instead of replacing our
30 year old front door, I spent it sanding each of the little 5 X 8 panels
on either side of the door.  That is four panels across and eight down, on
just one side!  My fingers were raw from the sand paper by the time I was
done.  Then I got the fun to head to home depot and buy new hardware for the
door and a brass kick plate, along with paint.  Our old black, from mold,
front door is now a deep bright blue, with shiny new knobs, peep hole, locks
and kick plate.  There is also a new knocker, but the spaces between the
panels are not wide enough to fit.  We then hung our flag on the new flag
pole for our 4th of July celebration.

I cannot believe the work that went into this door.  Not by me but by
whoever made it.  Each of the thirty two panels is individually cut along
with the trim to hold in each panel.  I had thought it was carved from a
solid piece of wood until I had to buy tiny nails to stablize some of the
panels that were moving, and some of the trim that was loose.  Now if only I
could find a threshold that fits back into the space under the door.  Our
old one was grouted in by previous owners and is 3 inches wide.  New ones
only come 3.5 inches wide and are not tall enough.  I am thinking that I
will have to fill in with wood and get a really short one to fit under the
door.  Or buy the 3.5 inch and squeeze it in our vise to make it thinner and
taller.  I love old houses,  parts never fit where they should.  Right now
we have a towel shoved into the space to keep the A/C in and the bugs out.
Anne in FL
zone 9b, sunset 26