Re: [gardeners] jalopenos

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:00:54 -0500

They're ripe and mature when they turn red completely. Otherwise you can start
picking them, depending upon variety, when they're about thumbsize, ie about 3/4
to 1 inch around and about 3 inches long. If you take the seeds and placenta out
they're not very hot, again, dependent upon variety. I have grown some that had
the nice taste of jalapenos and were absolutely mild. Friend gave me some the
other day that were just a tetch hot, even Miz Anne could eat them and she's a
"supertaster". I make a hot chile jelly out of red ripe jalapenos and red ripe
sweet chiles that is very good.

George