[gardeners] bee ID

Teressa Kandianis (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:28:57 -0700

My friend has a rather baked bare earth area that is aswarm with a flying
insect that looks like a black ant with wings.  The burrows look like little
ant hills and the bugs fly and land often - occasionally a real bee goes
into the burrow loaded up with pollen.  There is a total of an area about 10
feet by 10 feet covered with these little burrows that have a little hill of
sand by the opening.  Any idea what these are?  Teressa inFerndale, WA