Re: [gardeners] pollardizing?

Craig Watts (
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:38:25 -0400

>It is where they cut off the top of the tree and sort of make it grow into
>an umbrella shape, correct me if I am wrong Margaret or the other experts
>the list.  This is where I first heard the word on a garden list.  I have
>idea why it is done, and I don't think it does any good for the tree, but
>some folks think it looks appealing.  Any way, I figured out how I messed
>up, we have a car dealer here named Pollard.  I figured I would remember
?word that way, except it is Pollard Chrysler, there came the "ch"... Must
?one of those 50's moments a year early... I knew that some one on the list
?could straighten me out.  

I've known of the weakness of the bredford and have 3 lovely ones in my
yard getting to HUGE stage. Wanting to prune them, I looked on the internet
specifically for the best time of year. I was unable to find any
information and cut some tree away from the corner of my roof and spot
light. That was 4 weeks ago and the ends have all ready started sprouting
leave. At least it's a healthy tree  :)

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?