RE: [gardeners] How to make a milkshake (...was Eggplant grinder)

Doug Reed (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

Margaret,

When I was growing up, my dad employed me as a "Soda Jerk" in his
Drug Store/Soda Fountain. I must have made a million milkshakes/malts.

The "Ice Cream" part of a milkshake was actually something called
malt base. We got it delivered from the same supplier that we got
our regular dipping ice cream. Malt base looks a lot like vanilla
ice cream but has a slightly different texture without much flavor.

To make a milkshake I would take the metal milkshake container, add
flavored syrup, malt base, and whole milk then attach it to the
trusty Hamilton Beach milkshake blender (I still have this blender and
a couple of the metal milkshake containers). When blended, pour into a large
glass. To make a malt I just added some malt powder to the above mixture.

-Doug Reed (still making milkshakes in my sleep)
-Boulder, CO