[gardeners] Re: sickly tomatoes

bsk (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:54:43 -0500

Penny it must be the age. My FIL floods everything he can! He even digs
trenches around things, like a rose bush I gave mother in-law, to keep the
burmuda out then wonders why the darn plant dies! He either drowns
everything or blasts them out with the water hose. We have had a terrible
time keeping him under control! People just don't realize how bad it is
either. What is really fun is the fact that the ground there is all clay so
as it dries hard as a rock on top the dirt just a few inches down is mud
pie! I have shown him this so maybe he would understand and it still doesn't
work.
    Trying to get their yard planted is pure @#$%! First I tried to get
something for Oklahoma sun that doesn't need a lot of water. She is also 80
and can't tug the hose around. So I thought this would make life easier for
her. What does she do? She goes around and pokes at the ground saying it is
hard as a rock so she "thinks" it needs watering and she drowns them.
Finally I got through to her that it doesn't work that way with this dirt.
So now she is more careful. She also tries not to let her hubby go out and
water things so he won't blast or float things away.
   I tried getting her a spray gun nozzle and the first thing FIL did was
break it. I think I will try one of those aluminum wands so she can reach
way back there and see how long that lasts.
   I did finally figure out that begonias, sedum autumn joy, petunias, moss
rose and sometimes pansies like her so I plant them. It is a challenge but
we are getting everyone retrained in all the things they forgot that they
once knew. Her flower planter is just full of colorful pink flowers this
year. Oh yes, she is also in the little old lady pink stage. So since
everything looks prettier if it is pink that is what I plant. LOL I get
major kiss up points every mothers day for planting her yard.

Ranchmama
Okie zone 7a