Re: [gardeners] Re: Saturday in the garden

Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:46:04 -0500

I've had excellent luck with tomatoes lasting into the heat time of our summers.
Early Girl generally quits producing but then will kick in again in the fall
after a pruning. Yellow Bell always does well and I think it's because it
becomes a huge plant down here and shades the fruit. It's like an egg hunt
getting to them. B-) HeatWave does pretty good but not much better than regular
tomatoes. Some of the cherry tomatoes, Sweet Million, etc. do very well. Again,
I think it's because they get so big they make their own shade.

Next spring I hope to have the solution. I stopped at a nursery supply house in
central Louisiana on my way back from the VAMC. They were out of 30% shade cloth
but I did order a 25ftX25ft square and they will ship it to me. Probably next
month before I get it but that's okay.

George