Re: [gardeners] Saturday in the garden

Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:53:10 -0500

Okay, here it is, straight from the Ball Blue Book.

Cucumber Relish

2 quarts chopped cucumbers (about 8 medium)
2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 4 small)
2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 small)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 Medium)
1 tablespoon turmeric
12 cup salt
2 quarts cold water
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 quart vinegar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons whole allspice
2 teaspoons whole cloves

Combine vegetables in a large bowl; sprinkle with turmeric. Dissolve salt in 2
quarts cold water and pour over vegetables; let stand 3 to 4 hours. Drain; cover
vegetables with cold water and let stand one hour. Drain thoroughly. Combine
sugar and vinegar in a large saucepot. Tie spices in spice bag; add to sugar
mixture. bring to a boil; pour over vegetables. Cover; let stand 12 to 18 hours
in a cool place. Bring vegetables to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until hot.
Pact hot relish into hot jars, leaving one-fourth inch headspace. Adjust
two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yield: about 6
pints.

I use a food processor to chop all the veggies, much easier than hand chopping.

George