Re: [gardeners] RE: Dream Garden Shed

Bargyla Rateaver (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:22:34 +0100

You mention natural dyes. I remember from childhood a time when my mother was
experimenting with  natural dyes for raffia. Raffia palms grew some miles away,
so the leaf epidermis--raffia strands--were always available. I still have her
old Farmer's cookbook with her handwriting in it, about the dyes, on the empty
first pages.. The trouble with most dyes in that long ago time was that they
were not "fast"--in the sense that they faded out in that hot glaring sun. So
she figured to make her own dyes from local plants instead of waiting 4 months
for things to arrive from US.

One was made from water lilies, that we could see growing in a swamp beside the
road on the way to another town.

--

Bargyla Rateaver
http://home.earthlink.net/~brateaver