Re: [gardeners] zone 9b

Lon J. Rombough (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:23:48 -0700

I lived in Davis when I went to school there, and at least in the older
areas, the soil was anything but hard.  The problem was that the WATER was
harder than anything I've seen elsewhere.  Let a faucet drip SLOWLY and
overnight there was a small stalagtite hanging from the faucet. Perennials
actually did better with mulching than with watering because the water
raised the pH of the soil so much you could kill some things after a few
years with the rise in alkalinity.  But the soil was incredibly deep.  I
remember when they dug the foundations for the freeway overpasses and they
must have gone down 40 feet without any layers showing - it was essentially
topsoil all the way down.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com