Re: [gardeners] bread, store bought

Bargyla Rateaver (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:37:10 +0100

making bread is simple for me---had to make enough for 20 people while I
grew up in Madagascar and had to stay with a crowd of kids while my
parents were in a far outlying place. The only time in my life when I
was popular was when it was MY turn to do the week's baking for 20 kids.
I loved to make all kinds of things that one day.  They liked my baking,
only.

   and we had wheat flour  from Australia. and made our own yeast in a
bottle of which the cork was tied down until Sat night when we set the
bread for the week.

I would not need a kneading machine or such, but today and here the cost
of electricity to run the oven for an hour would make the bread so
expensive. Cheaper to buy, I think, and the health food stores have what
seems to be good bread, the real kind--but it costs nearly $3 a loaf.

If Ithought I could save money doing it myself, I would, but so far it
has not seemed economical. And ----now---alone, does not seem worth the
effort.

Tell me what YOU think.

--