Re: [gardeners] Propagating daylilies from proliferations

Elizabeth (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:22:54 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C11FF4.15E9A700

I didn't see any answers to this question.  Basically, I wait until the =
scape the prolif. is on is turning brown.  Often, by this time, the =
prolif. will already have some roots sticking out from its base.  Remove =
the prolif. and pot up in a light soil mix, keeping soil moist. =20
Since it is usually late in the season by the time you can root the =
prolif., you may want to overwinter it in a sunny window and plant it =
out in spring.  Good luck!

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net
Zone 6, KY
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Doug Reed=20
  To: gardeners@globalgarden.com=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 2:42 PM
  Subject: [gardeners] Propagating daylilies from proliferations

  Hi,

  I have some daylilies that have proliferations growing from the bract
  part of the flower scape. I have been told that these proliferations
  can be planted and will result in an exact duplicate of the original=20
  plant. Anybody have any luck with this? If so, when should I cut them=20
  from the scape and how should I root them?

  Thanks,

  -Doug Reed
  -Boulder, CO

  Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! =
Messenger
  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C11FF4.15E9A700

I didn't see any answers to this = question. =20 Basically, I wait until the scape the prolif. is on is turning = brown. =20 Often, by this time, the prolif. will already have some roots sticking = out from=20 its base.  Remove the prolif. and pot up in a light soil mix, = keeping soil=20 moist.
Since it is usually late in the season = by the time=20 you can root the prolif., you may want to overwinter it in a sunny = window and=20 plant it out in spring.  Good luck!

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net<= /DIV>
Zone 6, KY