Re: [gardeners] Fall overveiw

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:40:51 -0500

Yeah, it's pretty cold here too, maybe 52F this morning. I'm wearing my overalls and a long-sleeved
tee shirt. <VBG>

We ripped out the sprangly old zinnias out of the front flower bed yesterday and will get the ones
in the side bed today. The blasted things reseed and keep getting uglier and uglier but DW loves
them so. Gotta take out some other plants in that side garden too. We've been calling them "Red"
ginger as the lady who gave them to us called them that. They're more like a very small flowered
canna lily, no rhizomes, just roots. Got too many of them so they go in the trash and I'll move the
last of my true gingers into that bed. I now have a large supply of ginger root for cooking.

The veggie garden is going to lie fallow this fall/winter. We grew so much food and preserved so
much of it that we thought we would not plant this fall. Seeded it with winter rye a couple of weeks
ago and when the rye hits about 6 inches tall will cover it with compost and ground up leaves to
compost it in place. The fig tree will get a 6 inch deep layer of compost out to the drip line at
the same time. I don't mulch the other fruit trees as it gives a place for disease and mice to hide.

I could never live where you do Penny. Cold weather aggravates my angina to the point I just want to
sit in front of a fire and rock. Look out for Jimmy, he decides to run around naked right now he
might catch a cold. B-)

George