Re: [gardeners] Our beautiful October garden

Elizabeth (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:05:20 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0726_01C1574F.6DEF0B60

Hi, Rosemary!  I always enjoy hearing from you, as our growing =
conditions are so similar.  I like to read what does well for you, and =
what doesn't.  (That way, I can learn from your mistakes as well as my =
own!  :)

Re:  foundation plantings--have you ever tried skimmia japonica?  I just =
read an article about it in the latest Horticulture magazine, and it =
sounded interesting.  Evergreen shrub, 3-4' high and spread, bright red =
fruits from October through winter, hardy zones 4-9.

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rosemary Carlson=20
  To: gardeners@globalgarden.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 8:52 AM
  Subject: RE: [gardeners] Our beautiful October garden

  {snip}
  I replied to the "October" thread as the fall here in my part of KY =
has been
  the most beautiful I can remember in a long time. Brilliant foliage. =
The
  woods surrounding my house are all hardwood. No/few conifers. So, as =
the
  leaves drop, I feel exposed. Sometime, I have to get out and blow =
leaves.
  Not for the next couple of days, however. Raining cats and dogs today. =
Can't
  blow wet leaves. But soon!

  I'm about to start mulching my very few flower beds - my rhodies, =
mountain
  laurel, some shade perennials. I also want to plant a few bulbs but =
will
  stick to daffodils due to my rather large deer population. Of course, =
I make
  that problem worse because I feed them.....but they are beautiful and =
hungry
  and I can't resist. I always have a feeding block and a salt block out =
for
  them and put out shelled corn as often as possible. This is the time =
in the
  fall they go away, for the most part for awhile. Rutting season -- but =
there
  are also plenty of acorns and hickory nuts to eat in the woods and =
they love
  those!

  I'm still teaching - about 7 more years until I can retire from the
  university. But, I've sort of morphed into another career. I've =
become, over
  the past couple of years, a freelance writer in finance and business, =
though
  occasionally in other things. I write for one of the online brokerages =
on
  the 'net as a regular columnist. I freelance for other online and =
print
  publications. I've always been a frustrated writer :) so this is very
  satisfying though it's tough trying to maintain 2 rather demanding =
careers.
  I HOPE, eventually, to do some garden writing. But, I'm keeping pretty =
busy
  with the business/finance stuff. I'm also working on an e-book =
(actually a
  series of e-books in personal finance) and writing a nonfiction =
personal
  finance book for single women (popular press - not academic). On top =
of
  that, I'm writing a textbook. Life is busy. My woods is a wonderful =
place
  for inspiration. After retirement from teaching, I hope to write full =
time
  and develop that in to a full-time career -- which it sort of already =
is!

  We've had 2 frosts here already but no killing freezes. Supposedly, =
that
  will change this week. It's time. This is about the time of year in =
zone 6a,
  KY, when the end of the gardening season arrives.

  I put in some foundation plants this year - hydrangeas that are =
actually
  staying blue! A lacecap hydrangea. Pussywillows. A birch tree (which =
did not
  survive the heavy clay soil). I already had 3 year old rhodies and =
mountain
  laurel - doing well. My azaleas are NOT doing well. I think there is =
too
  much shade for them. Next spring, I'll probably take them out and just
  finish that flower bed with shade perennials. I also tried an oakleaf
  hydrangea. No dice. It never did well and ended up dying only a few =
weeks
  after I planted it despite TLC. NO idea why although the spot it was =
in
  seemed a little wet.

  One gardening question. I've now begun to giggle when people in the =
city
  complain about their squirrel problem. I have a SERIOUS raccoon =
problem.
  They are smart - and they are equally destructive. I can't KEEP =
birdfeeders
  up - not only do they raid them but they physically carry them off. =
Once,
  they even brought BACK one of the suet feeders. Any bright ideas on =
how to
  handle the little devils? They don't bother the plants - but I have =
MANY
  species of birds here and I don't want the raccoons stealing food and
  feeders all the time. I see pileated woodpeckers ALL the time -- and =
really
  every species of woodpecker. I love the woodpeckers but I'll have to =
admit
  the nuthatches are my favorite. I use nut feeders for them and they're
  hilarious!

  Although I don't post much, I read all your email and really enjoy it. =
Love
  to read about your gardens since my gardening is limited due to heavy =
shade
  and a heavy deer population! Recently, we've become infested here with =
lady
  bugs. They are all over the outside of the house - and on houses over =
the
  entire area! No one can figure it out. I also have zillions of =
granddaddy
  longlegs and moths. A bald eagle (the first seen in this area for =
years)
  resides very close by (off my road!) and they say we'll have elk this =
fall.
  I would be thrilled if I saw an elk at the salt block! There are also =
some
  small black bears -- but I've never seen one. I have seen my wood =
piles
  after they knock them down, however! I'd LIKE to see one -- from a =
distance.
  There is also a bobcat. I've seen him pretty up close and personal as =
he
  came walking up my driveway one day. I went outside as I thought it =
was just
  a regular cat.......well......I knew it wasn't instantly. He lives in =
trees
  in my backyard (it's an acre) and screams occasionally at night. I'm =
used to
  it but it scares visitors to death!

  Along with my beloved corgis (Zach who is the old guy at 14 and Eliza =
at 2),
  I have a new dog. It became obvious I needed a watch dog. I rescued =
(from a
  shelter who doesn't kill) a wonderful (WONDERFUL) rough collie/German
  Shepherd mix. Dad was a GS and Mom a collie. His name is Murphy and =
he's
  about 3. He is the BEST dog in America! He lives on my screened porch =
where
  he has a dog door that allows him to go in and out into the fenced =
back yard
  at will. He has a wonderful "house" in the screened porch with fuzzy
  blankets and all manner things to keep him warm. He wanders inside =
some --
  but not much. He prefers being out and I (and the corgis) spend time =
with
  him outside. A TERRIFIC watch dog who appears to have been guard =
trained in
  his previous life. I feel safe here always -- but safer with Murphy on =
duty!
  :) He and Eliza AND he and Abby (my Maine Coon cat) are best buds. He =
and
  Zach are less friendly - they have the macho male dog thing going on =
though
  both are neutered!

  Enjoy reading your posts and I hope everyone is well!

  Rosemary
  Zone 6a on a mountain in Eastern KY

  Rosemary Carlson
  Freelance Financial/Business Writer and Columnist
  P.O. Box 1278
  Morehead, KY  40351
  Email: rcarlson@mis.net
  www.thewritescribe.com (under heavy construction)

------=_NextPart_000_0726_01C1574F.6DEF0B60

Hi, Rosemary!  I always enjoy = hearing from=20 you, as our growing conditions are so similar.  I like to read what = does=20 well for you, and what doesn't.  (That way, I can learn from your = mistakes=20 as well as my own!  :)

Re:  foundation plantings--have = you ever tried=20 skimmia japonica?  I just read an article about it in the latest=20 Horticulture magazine, and it sounded interesting.  Evergreen = shrub, 3-4'=20 high and spread, bright red fruits from October through winter, hardy = zones=20 4-9.

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net<= /DIV>