Re: [gardeners] fig trees

Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:42:09 -0600

I've seen many references to keeping fig trees over the winter in cold climates. Mostly they advise
cutting the roots on one side of the tree, digging a trench, wrapping the tree in burlap, laying it
over in the trench and then covering it with soil and a heavy mulch of some sort. Come warm weather
you uncover it all, set it up and it grows again.

Down here in warm Louisiana we just leave them alone. On the rare winters when we get a hard freeze
they will die back to the roots and then sprout again. I also have a Brown Turkey tree. We mulch it
about six inches deep out to the drip line to protect the shallow roots from heat and to conserve
moisture.

George