Re: winter in a Calif. garden, was Re: [gardeners] test

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:24:06 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 ronhay@postoffice.pacbell.net wrote:

> Hello, Kay,
>
> Did you read in your paper that we may be in for another El Nino this
> coming Fall/Winter? Seems that the signs are all pointing in that
> direction. If so, all of us on the West Coast and Gulf Coast will have
> to don our water wings....and take out HUD Flood and Mud insurance.

Yup, and we've already lost chunks of major highways.  In 1996, I had
a foot of water in the back yard most of the winter.  I wouldn't be
surprised to see it again.  There was no point of draining it...
everything was equally saturated.

With the very heavy clay soils I'm dealing with here, it's guaranteed
trouble to even cross the lawn a bit... they collapse, and what little
airspace they might have is entirely squoze out.  In fact, I can even
see the compacted trail all year around in the backyard the cats have
made from the back door to their favorite area under the
rhododendrons.

Kay Lancaster  kay@fern.com